Thursday, December 28, 2006

Day 1-4: Baby Freya in the Hospital

Collaged by Auntie Amy

~Day 1: 25/Dec/06~

Mom and brother were the first to visit us. My relatives, Uncle Henry, Aunt Geraldine, Benjamin & Benedict, Aunt Annie & Sam, arrived later. They were excited to see the baby. All of them commented that the baby has a lot of hair .

Brother-in-law and family arrived in the afternoon. Little Eugene was just so amazed by how little Freya’s hands were. Ha…

Our good friends came too…

... there were Yiwei & family, with a big mysterious gift...

... there were Jinyu, with hubby Nigel and Tod Manting...and a box of beautiful clothes...

The morphine was causing extreme drowsiness and I could hardly keep my eyes open. Yet I was still very happy to have them come visit us. The morphine caused me to throw up green substances too. I was really sleepy the whole day.

It was a really joyous Christmas day. The baby was the center of attraction. Everyone just loves her so much.

~ Day 2: 26/Dec/06~

I have decided to total breastfeed Freya. However, there were only colostrums on the first two days and because of that, we were told by her PD that she had lost weight. The weight loss had resulted in starvation jaundice. So, PD advised that we should give her some formula because severe jaundice can be very dangerous. We did. I was really worried.

More visitors came to see baby Freya…

there was Yamhiang...

... there were Shirlaine (and CJ - not in picture), Evonne, Huimin and Guocong and their lovely hamper @ home...

Auntie Amy and Uncle Rudy came too. They are the sea lovers. Freya dear, you can ask Auntie Amy to bring you back a starfish on her next diving trip, for your 1st birthday. Ha…

I tried to let Freya suckle for as long as she wanted. But because of the epidural effect and jaundice, she was always so sleepy, falling asleep right after a feed especially at night. I prayed hard and hoped that the milk will come soon.

~ Day 3: 27/Dec/06~

It was another piece of heartbreaking news. Freya lost weight again but not as much as yesterday. PD suggested we let her go through a day of photo therapy to prevent the jaundice from worsening to dangerous levels. We were unwilling but left with no choice.

We could have been discharged but because of the need for Freya to go through the photo therapy, we would have to stay one more day. Provided that she gets better, we will not be able to go home the next day too.

I was under tremendous stress.

Photo therapy caused Freya to cry non-stop in the nursery. Whenever she came for her feeds, her eyes will look into mine with sadness. Her lips and skin peeled. Her complexion became tanned. My heart broke.

My milk finally came.

But she was still so sleepy…especially at night.

I wept and told her to wake up to have her feed.

I had the nurses pushed her in for feeds every two hours to ensure she had enough…to ensure she gets well…to ensure that she can go back home with me the next day.

I set my mobile alarm every two hours, making sure the nurses did as I had told them – to bring the baby in for feeds every two-hourly.

It was a night of fighting with the odds.

~ Day 4: 28/Dec/06~

I waited anxiously for the PD to come.

He came and broke the news that Freya still lost some weight but much lesser than the last two days and her jaundice was better too.

To our relief, she could be discharged with me!! Hooray…

Home was indeed a better place for Freya to get stronger. She seem to eat, sleep and play better too.

Home sweet home – always the best!